Biotechnology High School, an International Baccalaureate World School, integrates life sciences into a rigorous curriculum that inspires students toward open-minded participation in the global community and prepares students for higher education and leadership in an increasingly demanding workplace, through scholarly research, original investigations, and interactive partnerships.
- The field of biotechnology affords a tremendous number of career opportunities.
- The goal of biotechnology is a sustainable future for all members of the global community.
- Experience and expertise in various technical laboratory skills is essential for success in life science careers.
- Development of teamwork and problem solving skills is essential for success in the evolving workplace.
- Emphasis on careful consideration of a student’s own choices and actions, and their evaluation of the effects of those choices, is critical to building successful relationships.
- Development of an individual code of moral values through debate and self-reflection will benefit students personally and professionally.
- Project-based learning encourages students to put high level, analytical thinking into practice.
- Integration of technology in academic courses and co-curricular activities prepares students for educational opportunities that are constantly changing.
- Exploration of scholarly research promotes informational literacy and inspires students to design original investigations.
- Independent research enables students to think critically, ask original questions, and propose creative solutions.
- Partnerships with industry, higher education, and community-based organizations provide relevant applications of the curriculum and opportunities to develop workplace readiness and professional networking skills.
- Participation in a shared leadership model promotes citizenship and teamwork.
- Students who achieve cultural competency through studying and appreciating other cultures will be able to make a difference in their community and the world by promoting peace and friendly relations among members of all ethnic groups.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills are essential for personal growth.
- A safe and inviting environment encourages excellence and develops confidence.
- Faculty accessibility promotes student success.
- The inclusion of data review is necessary to improve student learning outcomes.