IB College Credit & Scholarships
Increasingly, the IB Diploma Program is being recognized by colleges throughout the United States. Most colleges have a formal policy regarding the awarding of college credit for successful completion of IB Diploma Courses, on the basis of student's scores on IB Exams.
IB credit policies & requirements vary greatly by college. This page is intended to give you an overview of the post-secondary opportunities available for IB students. Be sure to confirm the IB Policies & Regulations with each of your prospective colleges.
State Legislation - Regulating the awarding of IB Credit at Public Universities
The following 18 states have adopted legislation for "awarding system-wide admission recognition / college course credits for IB" (all public 4-year colleges in these states are required to implement policies to grant undergraduate course credit to entering first year IB students): California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Minnesota, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
- Colorado: All state 4-year postsecondary institutions must adopt a comprehensive policy regarding the credits offered to IB students, and identify which requirements are fulfilled by the IB Diploma Programme. However, all state-supported postsecondary institutions must grant a minimum of 24 semester credits to IB diploma holders who score a 4 or above on their exams
- Florida: State colleges and universities must ensure that at least 25% of each BA degree’s requirements may be completed through accelerated course credits. Each institution must award credit for those specific subjects for which a student has passed an IB exam, reaching a maximum of 30 semester credit hours.
- Minnesota: The colleges and universities of the Minnesota State colleges and Universities system must award, and the University of Minnesota and private postsecondary institutions are encouraged to award, college credit to high school students who receive a score of four or higher on the International Baccalaureate Programme Examination.
- Texas: Public higher education institutions must award at least 24 semester hours of credit in appropriate subject areas for students who have completed the IB Diploma Programme with scores of 4 or above on the exams.
Colleges Offering IB Scholarships
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute: "Valedictorians, salutatorians, and IB diploma graduates with a diploma score of 40 or greater admitted to WPI are guaranteed an academic merit scholarship worth a minimum of $20,000."
- University of Oregon: "Students who are IB diploma recipients are eligible to receive the maximum Dean's Scholarship award amount based on residency. The scholarship will be awarded (or adjusted) when the Office of Admissions receives final official IB transcripts in the summer with indication that the full IB diploma has been earned."
Some Colleges that Award Sophomore Standing for IB Diploma
- Florida State University
- Franklin & Marshall College
- Goucher College
- Harvard College
- Hood College
- Lawrence University
- SUNY Binghamton
- Towson University
IB Friendly Colleges of Interest
- Boston University
- Emory University
- Georgia Tech
- University of California
- University of Florida
- University of Virginia
- Virginia Tech
IB Credit Policies of Schools Commonly Attended by BTHS Students
- Drexel - "IB advanced standing and /or credit will be considered for students with high or superior scores (6 or 7) on selected exams."
- Northeastern - "In order to receive credit, you must have earned a score of a 5, 6, or 7 on the Higher Level IB exam. Standard Level IB exams are not eligible for transfer."
- Rutgers - "The School of Arts and Sciences recognizes the rigor of the International Baccalaureate program and grants college credit for students who demonstrate strong performance (scores of 7, 6, and 5) on Higher Level exams. Credit is not given for grades of 4 or lower or for Subsidiary/Standard Level exams"
- University of Delaware - Credit awarded for selected HL courses with exam scores of 4 or higher
- University of Maryland - Credit awarded for selected HL & SL courses with exam scores of 5 or higher.
- University of Pennsylvania - Credit awarded for selected HL courses with exam scores of 6 or 7.
- TCNJ - "Only awards credit for the Higher Level tests with a minimum score of 5."
Top 10 Colleges Attended By US IB Diploma Graduates
(Note: Florida has the highest number of IB High Schools)
- University of Florida
- Florida State University
- University of Texas - Austin
- University of Washington
- University of Maryland - College Park
- University of Colorado - Boulder
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
- Cornell University
- University of California - Berkeley
- UNC Chapel Hill
Additional Links & Information
- List of US Universities that recognize the IB Diploma
- Some Colleges that Generously Reward the Receiving of an IB Diploma
- IB Frienldy Colleges
- IB Recognition Brochure
- College Acceptance Rates for IB Students
- How Do Universities View The IB Diploma?
- How Florida Colleges & Universities Recogonize IB